US officials condemn Aleppo attacks

U.S. officials are condemning a series of rocket attacks that reportedly killed 29 people in Aleppo, Syria.

ADVERTISEMENT
State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said Friday’s attack, one Tuesday that destroyed several blocks in Aleppo and injured hundreds of civilians and a strike against a field hospital earlier this week are “only the latest demonstrations of the Syrian regime's ruthlessness and its lack of compassion for the Syrian people it claims to represent.”

“The Assad regime has no legitimacy and remains in power only through brute force,” Nuland said in a statement late Saturday.

Approximately 150 people were wounded in the latest attacks, activists told Reuters. “There are families burned under the rubble,” one activist said.

According to the Associated Press, the battle for Aleppo's airport intensified Saturday as government troops tried to reverse rebel gains.

The director of the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights activist group told the AP that the fighting was focused on a section of a highway linking Aleppo’s airport with Syria's largest city.