President Donald Trump
Donald John TrumpOakland Raiders's Marshawn Lynch sits during national anthem, then scores touchdown Trump declares state of emergency in Carolinas ahead of Hurricane Florence Ex-NFL player tears into Nike: Kaepernick ad ‘like 9/11 and Pearl Harbor’ MORE plans on reversing a set of policies softening relations with Cuba, according to a report from The Daily Caller.
The U.S.-Cuba Trade and Economic Council, a non-partisan group, said the Trump administration is preparing to announce the changes to Obama-era policies in a June speech in Miami, according to the Daily Caller.
The report cites two unnamed sources who said a bipartisan trio of lawmakers -- Sens. Marco Rubio
Marco Antonio RubioRubio calls out China for 'burning Bibles' GOP turns its fire on Google Bringing literacy to the world MORE (R-Fla.) and Bob Menendez
Robert (Bob) MenendezDems urge tech companies to remove 3D-gun blueprints Dem senators introduce resolution calling on Trump to stop attacking the press Booming economy has Trump taking a well-deserved victory lap MORE (D-N.J.) and Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (R-Fla.) -- pushed for the reversal.
Obama, who became the first U.S. president to visit Cuba in almost a century last year, put in motion a series of policies to thaw relations with the Communist island nation, which had been a strategic burden throughout the Cold War.
While Obama was able to soften regulation on some kinds of trade, business and travel, Congress has refused to lift the 57-year-old embargo.
The Trump administration had put the Cuba policy under review upon taking office.
The Daily Caller report surfaced days after Trump met with Pope Francis, who facilitated the deal between Obama and Cuban President Raul Castro.
Updated on May 30 at 7:30 a.m.