Suspected terrorist attack underway at Mali resort

Suspected terrorist attack underway at Mali resort
© Getty Images

A number of people have been killed in a suspected terrorist attack at a luxury resort in Mali, according to multiple reports.

The Campement de Kangaba resort outside the capital city of Bamako is a frequent destination for tourists, and the attack there is said to still be underway, according to the State Department.

It was not immediately clear how many people have been killed or injured in the attack. The Associated Press reported Sunday that the gunmen had taken hostages.

ADVERTISEMENT

Malian officials said they believed “suspected jihadists” were responsible for the attack. Security forces are reportedly battling gunmen.

"Security forces are in place. Campement Kangaba is blocked off and an operation is under way," Security Ministry spokesman Baba Cisse told Reuters. "The situation is under control."

Officials from the European Union, the United Nations and the French military mission in Mali were at the resort this weekend, according to the AP.

The State Department warned earlier this month of “a possible increased threat of attacks against Western diplomatic missions, places of worship, and other locations in Bamako where Westerners frequent.”

Updated at 3:35 p.m.