EU plans to defend Iran deal

EU plans to defend Iran deal
© Getty Images

The European Union (EU) said Monday it will continue to defend the Iran nuclear accord after President Trump said the agreement was no longer in the national interest of the U.S., Reuters reported.

“As Europeans together, we are very worried that the decision of the U.S. president could lead us back into military confrontation with Iran,” German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel told reporters at a meeting of EU foreign ministers.

Gabriel also expressed concern that "if we want to talk to North Korea, the possible end for the nuclear deal with Iran would jeopardize the credibility of such treaties."

French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian warned the U.S. against putting the deal in jeopardy.

ADVERTISEMENT
“Non-proliferation is a major element of world security and rupturing that would be extremely damaging,” Le Drian told reporters.

“We hope that Congress does not put this accord in jeopardy,” he added.

Trump last week announced that the U.S. "cannot and will not make this certification," and decertified Iran's compliance with the agreement.

“We will not continue down a path whose predictable conclusion is more violence, more terror and the very real threat of Iran’s nuclear breakout," Trump said.

The president said that Iran “has committed multiple violations of the agreement" and accused Tehran of "not living up to the spirit of the deal.”

He stopped short of withdrawing from the Obama-era pact, however.