One of US soldiers killed in Niger may have been kidnapped: report

One of US soldiers killed in Niger may have been kidnapped: report
© Getty Images

One of the four U.S. soldiers who was killed in a deadly ambush in Niger last month may have been captured by Islamic militants, Nigerien military sources told CBS News.

Army Sgt. La David Johnson's body was found two days after roughly a dozen U.S. soldiers and 40 Nigerien troops were ambushed by militants during a joint patrol in the African country. 

CNN reported last month that Johnson's body was found a mile away from the site of the attack. His hands were bound with rope.

The delay in recovering Johnson's body has sparked questions among lawmakers and military officials. 

While the Pentagon has launched a formal investigation into the deadly incident, it has not yet said how Johnson became separated from his comrades. 

"The loss of our troops is under investigation," Defense Secretary James MattisJames Norman MattisHillicon Valley: Supreme Court takes up Apple case | Senate votes to block ZTE deal | Officials testify on Clinton probe report | Russia's threat to undersea cables | Trump tells Pentagon to create 'space force' | FCC begins T-Mobile, Sprint deal review Pentagon: Planning for August 'war game' with South Korea suspended Dem: Trump 'Space Force' would 'rip the Air Force apart' MORE told reporters. "We investigate anytime we have our troops killed, whether it be in a training accident or combat."

Johnson was laid to rest in Florida last month. 

Johnson and his family became the subject of national debate after Rep. Frederica WilsonFrederica Patricia WilsonLawmakers planning hearings over deadly Niger attack Record number of black women running for office in Alabama after Roy Moore defeat Florida Democrat: '80 percent' of the US agrees with students on gun control MORE (D-Fla.) revealed to various news outlets that she overheard President Trump tell his widow that her late husband “knew what he signed up for ... but when it happens it hurts anyway.”

The White House has repeatedly disputed Wilson's account of the phone call, which was backed up by Johnson's family.