North Korean official says country will rethink US summit if pressured to abandon nuclear program

North Korean official says country will rethink US summit if pressured to abandon nuclear program
© Getty

North Korea will reconsider a planned summit with President TrumpDonald John Trump20 weeks out from midterms, Dems and GOP brace for surprises Sessions responds to Nazi comparisons: 'They were keeping the Jews from leaving' Kim Jong Un to visit Beijing this week MORE if it continues to be pressured to "unilaterally" abandon its nuclear program, according to a senior North Korean official.

Yonhap News Agency reported on Tuesday that North Korea's Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan says the country will not accept a U.S. deal that will force the country to abandon its nuclear program in exchange for the relaxation of economic sanctions.

Trump accepted an offer for a meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un earlier this year, stunning Washington, D.C., and the world after months of tough talk aimed at the North Korean government.

The statement came hours after the country announced it was suspending talks with South Korea, with which it had been engaged in unprecedented negotiations for weeks.

"The United States will also have to undertake careful deliberations about the fate of the planned North Korea-U.S. summit in light of this provocative military ruckus jointly conducted with the South Korean authorities," North Korean state media said in a statement Tuesday, according to Yonhap.

The White House released a statement in response to the news on Tuesday afternoon, saying it “will look at” North Korea’s comments as the story develops.

“We are aware of the South Korean media report. The United States will look at what North Korea has said independently, and continue to coordinate closely with our allies,” press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said.