China on Wednesday responded to U.S. bombers flying over the South China Sea, saying Beijing will not be intimidated by military aircraft in the region.
“Running amok is risky,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying told reporters, Reuters reported.
“China won’t be scared by any so-called military ship or aircraft, and we will only even more staunchly [take] all necessary steps to defend the country’s sovereignty and security, to protect the peace and stability of the South China Sea region," she continued, according to the news service.
Hua's comments come after reports surfaced that two U.S. Air Force B-52s flew in close proximity to the disputed Spratly Islands.
China has reclaimed land on the islands and has since constructed runways and structures.
The South China Sea is a point of contention for Washington and Beijing.
Defense Secretary James Mattis
James Norman MattisWoodward: Draft Trump tweet alarmed Pentagon officials Mattis-Trump relationship put to the test by Woodward book Overnight Defense: Trump said to extend Syria strategy | Mattis pushes Taliban talks during Afghanistan visit | Trump says he 'most likely' won't shut down government MORE lashed out at China last week, accusing the country of deploying a strategy of "intimidation and coercion" in the region.
"Despite China’s claims to the contrary, the placement of these weapons systems is tied directly to military use for the purposes of intimidation and coercion," Mattis said.
"China’s policy in the South China Sea stands in stark contrast to the openness our strategy promotes," he continued. "It calls into question China’s broader goals."