Sony said the personal information stolen in the hacker attack last week that brought down the PlayStation Network wasn't encrypted and that the firm remains unclear as to when the network will be restored.
Sony released further details on Wednesday of the incident, which may have affected as many as 77 million PlayStation Network users worldwide. Sony has already acknowledged that users' personal data such as their names, addresses and passwords have been compromised.
"We know you are upset, and so we are taking steps to make our services safer and more secure than ever before," said Senior Director of Corporate Communications Patrick Seybold.
"We sincerely regret any inconvenience or concern this outage has caused, and rest assured that we’re going to get the services back online as quickly as we can."
Seybold said Sony is currently working with law enforcement and an outside security firm to determine who was responsible for the attack, but didn't reveal anything further about the perpetrators. Seybold said all credit card data was encrypted but that users' personal information was not and has been breached.
Sony began notifying customers about the incident on Tuesday, almost a week after the initial attack brought down the network. That delay before warning customers their data had been stolen has prompted a host of lawmakers to voice concerns, with a federal investigation appearing likely in the near future.