Google will expand the way it applies the “right to be forgotten” ruling next week, the company said on Friday.
Under a ruling from a European court, E.U. citizens are allowed to petition search engines to take down links to content about then that isn’t accurate or is outdated. That has applied to Google’s search engine domains in Europe.
That will change, in a narrow way, next week. Google said on Friday that it would delist the links from all of its domains when they are accessed in the country where the petition to remove the content originated.
This move had been reported by several news outlets in the weeks leading up to Google’s announcement.
The company has been fighting with French regulators over whether it should expand the 'right to be forgotten' around the world. Google portrayed its announcement Friday as one that would mollify privacy regulators without infringing too much on the sanctity of its platform.
“We’re changing our approach as a result of specific discussions that we’ve had with EU data protection regulators in recent months,” wrote Global Privacy Counsel Peter Fleischer in a blog post. “We believe that this additional layer of delisting enables us to provide the enhanced protections that European regulators ask us for, while also upholding the rights of people in other countries to access lawfully published information.”
“Despite occasional disagreements, we’ve maintained a collaborative dialogue with data protection authorities throughout. We’re committed to continuing to work in this way.”