Trump campaign manager calls for single, privatized 5G network

Trump campaign manager calls for single, privatized 5G network
© Getty Images

President TrumpDonald John TrumpSasse: Trump shouldn't dignify Putin with Helsinki summit Top LGBT group projects message onto Presidential Palace in Helsinki ahead of Trump-Putin summit Hillary Clinton to Trump ahead of Putin summit: 'Do you know which team you play for?' MORE's 2020 campaign manager is calling for a single, privatized 5G mobile network across the country, arguing the current system is outdated.

Brad Parscale’s position contrasts with a reported proposal floated by the White House earlier this year that included a plan to nationalize 5G networks in an attempt to guard against China.

ADVERTISEMENT

"It is time for America to have a single 5G network for all carriers. The days of dropped calls, slow speeds, and no service need to end. It is time for the U.S. to have the world’s best cell service," Parscale tweeted Tuesday.

Perscale followed up with a tweet Wednesday, saying, "A great 5G network, in my personal opinion, consists of an open wholesale market with a privatized company that isn’t a carrier. Government doesn’t own or operate it but does provide the spectrum."

The White House's proposal, as reported by Axios in January, argued that letting companies build their own competing 5G networks could take more time and cost more to implement than the U.S. government paying for and building a single network.

A single, private network could, in theory, address those concerns without nationalizing 5G — something that free market-oriented members of the Trump administration would likely have concerns about.

The White House proposal was motivated in part by concerns of China’s moves on 5G. Telecommunications companies are concerned that China could beat the U.S. in developing 5G networks and establish itself as the dominant player.

Commerce Secretary Wilbur RossWilbur Louis RossTrump’s arms export rules will undermine US security and risk human rights abuses Hillicon Valley: Mueller indicts Russians for DNC hack | US officially lifts ZTE ban | AT&T CEO downplays merger challenge | Microsoft asks for rules on facial recognition technology | Dems want probe into smart TVs US officially lifts ban on Chinese telecom giant ZTE MORE said in May that building a 5G mobile broadband network is a chief concern for the Trump administration.

“Whoever pursues it, whoever does it, we’re very much in support of 5G. We need it. We need it for defense purposes, we need it for commercial purposes,” he said.