Location: Albany, NY
The mission of the Community Health Care Association of New York State (CHCANYS) is to ensure that all New Yorkers, including those who are medically underserved, have continuous access to high quality community-based health care services including a primary care home. To do this, CHCANYS serves as the voice of community health centers as leading providers of primary health care in New York State. CHCANYS is a dynamic, team-oriented, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that advocates on behalf of and provides technical assistance to federally qualified health centers (FQHCs) throughout New York State.
CHCANYS was founded over 40 years ago and the last seven years have been a time of significant expansion and growth during which we are working with community, migrant, and homeless health centers to provide high quality, affordable and accessible primary and preventive health care for more than 1.5 million New Yorkers. This is an exciting time as CHCANYS is further building its internal infrastructure to support expansion anticipated to double in size and open its third office in New York State over the next five years.
As part of our continued expansion, CHCANYS is seeking a Policy Specialist to assist the Senior Policy Director and internal Policy Team. This newly created role will support the development of high quality policy analysis, recommendations and strategy to be used by CHCANYS and shared with partner advocacy organizations, policy makers and other stakeholders with a goal of effecting positive policy change on behalf of New York State’s community health centers. The position will be based out of CHCANYS’ Albany office and reports to CHCANYS’ Senior Policy Director.
The Policy Specialist must be self-motivated, able to manage multiple projects and able to work independently. He or she must possess excellent interpersonal skills, have a professional demeanor, and be comfortable acting as a public representative of the organization. The individual in this role will work with a diverse group of people and must be able to collaborate effectively.
• Assist in the development and implementation of CHCANYS’ overall advocacy agenda on all levels of government (local, state and federal) in accordance with the organizational strategic plan and policy team goals.
• Analyze, monitor and report on proposed and enacted legislation and regulations particularly on the state and federal levels.
• Support the Special Populations Point of Contact in identifying and coordinating T/TA for existing and potential FQHCs to strengthen their capacity to serve Special Populations.
• Participate in the research and writing of CHCANYS’ publications, including the annual legislative agenda.
• Develop communications and advocacy materials to prepare participants for legislative visits during annual advocacy days in Washington D.C. and Albany
• Identify relevant coalitions and collaborations for CHCANYS to lead or participate in.
• Draft policy statements, testimony and reports for CHCANYS publications including assisting in maintaining updated information on CHCANYS’ policy web page.
• Work with the Senior Policy Director and Policy Team to support the development and implementation of the organization’s policy agenda and coordinate its implementation including development of action alerts, coordination of legislative and coalition meetings and materials.
• Conduct research including literature and data reviews, administering surveys and analyzing budgets in support of CHCANYS’ public policy agendas.
• Plan and participate in advocacy activities including legislative visits, testifying at hearings and drafting other related correspondence.
• Participate in meetings of CHCANYS’ Public Policy Committee and other Board committees as needed.
• Support strategies to enhance communication between CHCANYS and its member health center on public policy matters.
• Master’s Degree in health policy or relevant field preferred. Will consider Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field with very strong professional experience.
• 5 years of experience in Health policy in New York State preferred. Will consider other policy roles in nonprofit organizations or government agencies.
• Ability to produce high quality written material, meet tight deadlines, and work independently.
• Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
• Professional demeanor and excellent interpersonal skills.
• Proficiency with MS Office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
• Demonstrated awareness and value of cultural competence.
• Demonstrated knowledge of community-based health care a plus.
• Experience with FQHCs strongly preferred.
• High degree of independence, flexibility, initiative and commitment.
• Ability to work with customer/client groups and/or experience in membership organizations.
• Ability to multi-task and manage a heavy workload.
• Strong problem solving skills.
• Travel (statewide and nationally) as required.
• Ability to speak and understand Spanish is desired but not required
Please send a resume and cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
CHCANYS offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. CHCANYS is an equal opportunity employer.