Position Title: Director of Government Relations
Location: Washington, D.C.
Reports to: President
Travel: Approximately <25%
About the National Down Syndrome Society (NDSS):
The National Down Syndrome Society is the leading human rights organization for all individuals with Down syndrome. NDSS provides state-of-the-art, comprehensive programming to all individuals with Down syndrome and their families with four main areas of programming which include: the National Advocacy & Policy Center, the National Buddy Walk® Program, Community Outreach and Resources and Public Awareness. NDSS maintains an aggressive, comprehensive legislative agenda than spans the life of an individual with Down syndrome. For more information visit www.ndss.org.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The NDSS Director of Government Relations is a full-time, DC-based position, reporting to the President. The position will support and engage in direct federal and state legislative, policy education and advocacy activities pertaining to NDSS’ legislative agenda with Members of the Congress and Congressional staff, as well as other legislative and committee offices, and other federal departments, offices and agencies.
Primary responsibilities of the Director of Government Relations include:
• Directly engage Congressional and other legislative offices to advance NDSS’ legislative
and policy priorities
• Direct and oversee the day-to-day tasks and work of advocacy and policy staff, including Manager of Grassroots and Associate of Advocacy & Public Policy
• Oversee and lead NDSS’ advocacy programs and initiatives, specifically NDSS’ Annual Buddy Walk® on Washington (advocacy conference) and NDSS’ DS-AMBASSADOR® Program (the largest Down syndrome grassroots network)
• Support and provide recommendations to the President in the expansion and implementation of outreach/education and legislative advocacy programs
• Provide legislative analysis and policy briefing papers, backgrounders and other communications
on topics affecting NDSS’ federal and state legislative priorities and issues
• Participate actively in NDSS’ coalitions, alliances and memberships that support critical legislative issues
• Oversee and collaborate on the research and writing of NDSS’ e-newsletters, action alerts and social media outlets
• Other duties as assigned, some travel required
Background and Experience:
• Minimum of B.A. or B.S. degree required; degree in related major preferred
• Must demonstrate subject matter expertise in functional area
• Excellent verbal, written and digital communication skills
• Utilizes initiative to problem solve and succeed in evolving environments; strong collaboration
and negotiating skills preferred
• Demonstrated record of sound political judgment and bipartisanship
• Strong teamwork, project management and analytical/problem solving skills
NDSS currently offers full competitive employee benefits including medical and dental insurance, LTD, STD and Group Life insurance, 401(k) plan with matching, an FSA option, unlimited vacation and paid holidays.
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants should submit their resume with a cover letter and writing sample to NDSS Chief of Staff Kandi Pickard via email at email@example.com.