“Four years ago I was locked in a brutal primary battle with Hillary Clinton. Four years later, she won't stop drunk-texting me from Cartagena,” said Obama in his address to laughter from the audience.
The secretary of state was attending a weekend summit there with the president and 33 other heads of state from countries in the Western Hemisphere.
Clinton has shown humor about her image in recent weeks, acknowledging a popular Tumblr blog, Texts From Hillary, that presents faux text messages over photos of her texting.
In a submission to the site, Clinton thanked the blog's creators for “the many LOLZ.”
Clinton, who lost the 2008 Democratic presidential contest to Obama, has also been the focus of speculation on a future 2016 bid.
More from The Hill
• Obama touts Osama kill on first anniversary
• Obama takes on war on dogs, drunk texts from Clinton
• Obama pokes fun at Romney dog controversy with fake super-PAC ad
• Photos: Guests at the White House Correspondents' Dinner
• Romney campaign aide claims auto bailout was Romney's idea
• Senate Dems plan new trap for Romney with female voters