By Alexander Bolton - 06/24/12 03:41 PM EDT
Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) on Sunday declined to stand by a statement he made last year on NBC’s “Meet the Press” that he is not in interested running for vice president in 2012.
Appearing on the same program more than a year later, Rubio said he would not discuss his vice presidential aspirations.
“I thought you had told me you burned the tapes,” Rubio quipped. “Look, I’m not discussing the vice presidential process anymore. I made the decision two months ago not to discuss it any further. I think, by the way, other people who have been speculated are doing the exact same thing and wisely so.”
When Rubio previously appeared on the show he said, “I’m not going to be on the ticket in 2012.”
Rubio declared “under no circumstances” would he serve on the ticket.
Mitt Romney, the presumed GOP nominee, said last week that Rubio is “being thoroughly vetted” as a potential running mate.