Barbara Bush on Jeb WH run: 'We've had enough Bushes'

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Former first lady Barbara Bush said Thursday she doesn't want her son Jeb to run for president in 2016, because the nation has "had enough Bushes" in the White House.

Bush touted her son as the best candidate to replace President Obama, but said other families should get a shot.

"He's by far the best qualified man, but no," Bush told "The Today Show." "I really don't. I think it's a great country. There are a lot of great families, and it's not just four families or whatever. There are other people out there that are very qualified, and we've had enough Bushes."

Bush also said she didn't think her son would run.

"He's the most qualified, but I don't think he'll run. I mean, there are other families. He'll get all our enemies, half of our friends," she said.

Former first lady Laura Bush and her daughter, Jenna, who were also being interviewed, laughed when Barbara Bush was asked if she had previously told the former Florida governor her feelings.

ADVERTISEMENT
"Well, now — on 'The Today Show!' Surprise," Jenna quipped.

In an interview with ABC News that aired earlier in the day, former President George W. Bush broke from his mother and said he hoped Jeb would run.

“He’d be a marvelous candidate if he chooses to do so. He doesn’t need my counsel 'cause he knows what it is, which is ‘run,’ ” Bush said. “But whether he does or not, it’s a very personal decision.”

Jeb and George W. Bush's father, George H.W. Bush, was elected president in 1988 and served one term. George W. Bush was president from 2001 to 2009.