"It was simply put out under automatic signature as thousands and thousands of emails are, according to protocol," White House press secretary Jay Carney said. "So the politicization of this issue is unfortunate, and it continues unabated."
Chaffetz also said that upcoming testimony would cast doubt on claims from the Obama Administration and the review board that investigated the Benghazi response that maintained there was no way the military could have intervened to prevent the siege of the compound.
"There were military assets, there was military personnel, they were told to stand down," Chaffetz said.
The Utah congressman also insinuated that officials at the State Department had been previously "suppressed" in their ability to share information and questioned a report Monday from Fox News that indicated Clinton and a top aide tried to cut the department's counterterrorism bureau out of the decision-making process in the aftermath of the attack.
"One of the questions I think that Congress has is why is it that Secretary Clinton never turned that button on?" Chaffetz said.
"You wonder if there was a political decision rather than a practical one."
The Oversight Committee hearing on May 8 will feature testimony by Mark Thompson, the State Department's acting deputy assistant secretary for counterterrorism, Gregory Hicks, the No. 2 diplomat in Libya during the attack, and Eric Nordstrom, the former regional security officer in Libya.
"They have critical information about what occurred before, during, and after the Benghazi terrorist attacks that differs on key points from what Administration officials – including those on the Accountability Review Board – have portrayed,” committee chairman, Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) said in a statement.