By Rebecca Shabad - 10/21/13 04:00 PM EDT
The ad is part of a concerted effort by the administration to counter the bad headlines generated by the disastrous launch of the federal site.
The 31-second video posted on Healthcare.gov’s YouTube channel Monday morning features 22-year-old Daniel from Orlando, Fla., who’s attending college for computer science.
Daniel said he already had health insurance, but wanted to see if Obamacare had a better plan. He said he enrolled in a plan on the new website, which launched Oct. 1.
“Once I was on the site, it was pretty easy for me to compare plans. I was able to pick a much higher-quality plan, and because of my income as a student, I only pay about $70 a month for it. Getting coverage this good at this price, I’m thrilled. And hey, I’m covered,” he said.
HHS has released similar ads in the last few weeks. However, those that are online-only tend to not draw much traffic.
"New TV ad from HHS on Healthcare.gov. Are they kidding?" tweeted Connor Walsh, digital director for House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.).
Since the three-year-old healthcare law’s insurance exchange was unveiled, the website has experienced numerous technical problems.
Obama spoke about its problems in a White House speech late Monday morning.
A few lawmakers have called for HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius to resign because of the failed launch. On Sunday, Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) said Sebelius will eventually testify before Congress about the issues.
Over the weekend, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) also called the law's rollout “unacceptable.”
A senior Obama administration official also said nearly half a million people have signed up for Obamacare so far.