“I think as we’ve already seen so much of the reporting has been wrong,” Murphy said on MSNBC. “Initial reports of far more than three dead, reports of multiple explosive devices beyond those that were at the scene.”
“I just think everybody including everybody in the press needs to chill out here,” he continued. “Let the investigators do their work. Hopefully they have some leads here that are going to get them somewhere, but I don’t think we want the public information to get ahead of the private information.”
At least three people were killed and more than 100 injured Monday when two explosive devices detonated near the finish line at the Boston Marathon.
There has been a furious scramble by news organizations to uncover details about an investigation that even lawmakers seem to be in the dark about right now.
Initial reports that there were multiple explosive devices planted across the city have since been debunked. Some have also latched on to a report that police identified a Saudi national student in the U.S. on a student visa as evidence the attack was a foreign terrorist operation, although police haven’t publicly identified any suspects or made any arrests.
Murphy dealt with tragedy earlier this year after the massacre at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn. shocked the nation and provoked Congress to take up gun control reform.
The 26th mile of the Boston Marathon was dedicated to those who lost their lives at the Sandy Hook Elementary School attack, and some families of the victims were at the finish line near where the bombings took place. All of them escaped unharmed, Murphy said.