No apology from GOP, Santorum says
© Getty Images

Former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) said on Thursday that he has not received an apology from the Republican National Committee (RNC) for its rules keeping him off of Fox News’s main debate stage.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I haven’t heard anything yet and I don’t anticipate on hearing anything,” Santorum said on CNN’s “New Day.”

“The fact that we’re arbitrarily limiting the debates is a disservice to the American people,” he added. “If I were the GOP I would be boasting about our riches.”

The former senator is currently outside the top 10 Republican White House hopefuls heading into Fox News’s GOP presidential debates on Thursday.

“They probably need to apologize to the American public more than the candidates; they're the ones not getting the opportunity to get a chance see all the folks who could win this race and who could actually be the best candidate for president,” Santorum told NBC News earlier this week.

Santorum argued on Thursday morning that he is not letting his current place in the national polls undermine his message on the campaign trail.

“It is not a national race,” Santorum said. “It is a state-by-state race.”

“I am going to talk to the people of Iowa, New Hampshire and North Carolina,” he said.

Santorum, who in 2012 emerged as the biggest threat to Mitt Romney, the GOP’s eventual nominee, said he enjoys having the odds against him in the GOP’s 2016 presidential primary.

“I like coming from behind and being the underdog,” Santorum told hosts Alisyn Camerota and Chris Cuomo.

“We’ve been the guy on the outside looking in,” he said of his political career. “We’re doing the same thing here.”