Both Republican and Democratic presidential candidates alike condemned GOP front-runner Donald TrumpDonald TrumpHarry Reid reacts to Boehner book excerpt: 'We didn't mince words' Man arrested for allegedly threatening to stab undercover Asian officer in NYC Trump says GOP will take White House in 2024 in prepared speech MORE’s call for a “total and complete shutdown” of Muslims coming into the United States until leaders can “figure out what is going on.”

Trump said in a release on Monday: "Until we are able to determine and understand this problem and the dangerous threat it poses, our country cannot be the victims of horrendous attacks by people that believe only in Jihad, and have no sense of reason or respect for human life."

ADVERTISEMENT

Statements of condemnation came quickly from many of his GOP rivals as well as those on the Democratic side.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich, who frequently spars with the real estate mogul, said in a statement: “This is just more of the outrageous divisiveness that characterizes his every breath and another reason why he is entirely unsuited to lead the United States.”

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie in a Thursday radio interview on The Michael Medved show responded to Trump’s call.

“Again, this is the kind of thing that people say when they have no experience and don’t know what they’re talking about” Christie said in the interview. “We do not need to endorse that type of activity, nor should we. What we need to do is to increase our intelligence capabilities and activity both around the world and in the homeland.” 

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush tweeted:

Sen. Lindsey GrahamLindsey Olin GrahamMSNBC's Joy Reid pans Manchin, Sinema as the 'no progress caucus' Overnight Defense: Biden proposes 3B defense budget | Criticism comes in from left and right | Pentagon moves toward new screening for extremists Biden defense budget criticized by Republicans, progressives alike MORE (R-S.C.), who is tied for last place in the GOP field, nearly 30 points behind Trump nationlly, tweeted:

Sen. Ted CruzRafael (Ted) Edward CruzHarry Reid reacts to Boehner book excerpt: 'We didn't mince words' GOP lawmakers block Biden assistance to Palestinians Cruz on Boehner: 'I wear with pride his drunken, bloviated scorn' MORE (R-Texas) responded while in South Carolina and pointed to legislation he introduced in the Senate regarding refugees.

“Well that, that is not my policy. I’ve introduced legislation in the Senate that would put in place a three year moratorium on refugees coming from countries where ISIS or Al Qaeda can control a substantial amount of territory. And the reason is that’s where the threat is coming from,” Cruz said.

He continued, “I think that’s the approach we should take and we need a commander and chief who is focused on keeping this nation safe. And the way we do so is focusing in particular on radical Islamic terrorism which is exactly what I intend to do.”

Sen. Rand PaulRandal (Rand) Howard PaulThe Hill's 12:30 Report - Presented by ExxonMobil - World mourns the death of Prince Philip The Hill's Morning Report - Biden assails 'epidemic' of gun violence amid SC, Texas shootings Trump faces test of power with early endorsements MORE (R-Ky.) has also introduced his own legislation pausing refugees from countries with "significant jihadist movements” from entering the country.

In response to Trump’s latest call, Paul campaign spokesman Sergio Gor said, "Senator Rand Paul has led on the issue of border security, proposing real solutions. That's why earlier this month he introduced legislation to block visitors and immigrants from nations with known radical elements while a new system is developed to screen properly."

On Monday evening, Florida Sen. Marco RubioMarco Antonio RubioHillicon Valley: Amazon wins union election — says 'our employees made the choice' Overnight Defense: Biden proposes 3B defense budget | Criticism comes in from left and right | Pentagon moves toward new screening for extremists The growing threat of China's lawfare MORE tweeted:

According to a tweet from CNN's Jake Tapper, Carly Fiorina said she thought "Donald Trump's overreaction is as dangerous as President Obama's under reaction...Donald Trump always plays on everyone's worst instincts and fears." She called Trump's proposal "a dangerous overreaction."

On the Democratic side, former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley responded to Trump’s call, tweeting that Trump “is running for President as a fascist demagogue.”

Bernie SandersBernie SandersHillicon Valley: Amazon wins union election — says 'our employees made the choice' On The Money: Biden .5T budget proposes major hike in social programs | GOP bashes border, policing provisions Overnight Defense: Biden proposes 3B defense budget | Criticism comes in from left and right | Pentagon moves toward new screening for extremists MORE (I-Vt.) said in a statement, “Demagogues throughout our history have attempted to divide us based on race, gender, sexual orientation or country of origin. Now, Trump and others want us to hate all Muslims. The United States is a great nation when we stand together. We are a weak nation when we allow racism and xenophobia to divide us.”

Former Secretary of State Hillary ClintonHillary Diane Rodham ClintonClose the avenues of foreign meddling Pelosi planned on retiring until Trump won election: report Pence autobiography coming from Simon & Schuster MORE was the last of the Democratic candidates to condemn Trump, tweeting:

In the early voting state of New Hampshire, where Trump leads the Republican pack by 15 points, the state GOP chairwoman, Jennifer Horn, said, according to New Hampshire Union Leader reporter Dan Tuohy that "there are some issues that transcend politics...There should never be a day in the United States of America when people are excluded based solely on their race or religion. It is un-Republican. It is unconstitutional. And it is un-American.