Clinton declines California debate
© Getty Images

Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary ClintonHillary Diane Rodham ClintonNo, the polls aren't wrong — but you have to know what to look for How to shut down fake Republican outrage over 'spying' on Trump More than 200,000 Wisconsin voters will be removed from the rolls MORE is declining to debate rival Bernie SandersBernie SandersSanders 'outraged' after MLB threatens to cut ties with minor league teams Booker leads other 2020 Dems in petition urging DNC to change debate qualifications Democrats threaten to skip next debate over labor dispute MORE in California ahead of the state’s June 7 primary.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We have declined Fox News’s invitation to participate in a debate in California,” Clinton’s communications director, Jennifer Palmieri, said in a statement. “As we have said previously, we plan to compete hard in the remaining primary states, particularly California, while turning our attention to the threat a Donald TrumpDonald John TrumpRepublicans aim to avoid war with White House over impeachment strategy New York Times editorial board calls for Trump's impeachment Trump rips Michigan Rep. Dingell after Fox News appearance: 'Really pathetic!' MORE presidency poses.”

“We believe that Hillary Clinton’s time is best spent campaigning and meeting directly with voters across California and preparing for a general election campaign that will ensure the White House remains in Democratic hands,” she continued.

The Vermont senator had been pushing Clinton to debate before the June 7 primary. California offers 475 pledged Democratic delegates, the largest prize of any state.

Sanders released a statement Monday evening saying he is "disappointed but not surprised" by Clinton's decision.

“Democracy, and respect for the voters of California, would suggest that there should be a vigorous debate in which the voters may determine whose ideas they support," Sanders said. "I hope Secretary Clinton reconsiders her unfortunate decision to back away from her commitment to debate.
 
"I also would suggest that Secretary Clinton may want to be not quite so presumptuous about thinking that she is a certain winner. In the last several weeks, the people of Indiana, West Virginia and Oregon have suggested otherwise.”
 
Fox News also released a statement. 

“Naturally, Fox News is disappointed that Secretary Clinton has declined our debate invitation, especially given that the race is still contested and she had previously agreed to a final debate before the California primary,” Bill Sammon, vice president of Fox News and the network's Washington managing editor, said.

In a statement last week, Sanders campaign manager Jeff Weaver said the senator accepted an invitation from Fox News to debate "with the understanding that we can reach mutual agreement on the debate moderators, the format and other details.” Weaver said both campaigns in January agreed to hold a debate in May in California, adding that the Clinton campaign has “balked at keeping that pledge.”

Clinton’s decision to pass on the debate comes days after a CNN interview in which the former secretary of State said she thinks the race for the Democratic nomination is all but over, saying there's "no way" she won't be the party's nominee. The Sanders camp fired back at her comment and said that millions of Americans have “growing doubts” about her candidacy.

Updated 8:25 p.m.