Trump defends Fox News CEO over sexual harassment allegations
© Getty Images

Donald TrumpDonald John TrumpFacebook releases audit on conservative bias claims Harry Reid: 'Decriminalizing border crossings is not something that should be at the top of the list' Recessions happen when presidents overlook key problems MORE is defending Fox News CEO Roger Ailes, saying he doesn't believe the sexual harassment allegations against the cable news executive.

“I think they are unfounded just based on what I’ve read,” Trump, the GOP’s presumptive presidential nominee, said, according to The Washington Examiner. "Totally unfounded, based on what I read.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Former Fox News anchor Gretchen Carlson last week filed a sexual harassment lawsuit against Ailes.

Carlson, who hosted “The Real Story with Gretchen Carlson,” alleges she was fired from the network last month after refusing to have sex with Ailes.

In the lawsuit, filed on July 6 in New Jersey’s Superior Court, Carlson also claims Ailes ostracized and belittled her during her time at Fox News.

“When Carlson met with Ailes to discuss the discriminatory treatment to which she had been subjected, Ailes stated: 'I think you and I should have had a sexual relationship a long time ago and then you’d be good and better and I’d be good and better,’” according to the complaint. The complaint alleges that Ailes added, “sometimes problems are easier to solve” that way.

Carlson’s attorneys also alleged Ailes repeatedly leered at Carlson and made lewd comments about her appearance.

Ailes last week denied Carlson’s account, saying the lawsuit was retaliation for his decision not to renew her her contract.

“Gretchen Carlson’s allegations are false,” he said in a statement on July 7. "This is a retaliatory suit for the network’s decision not to renew her contract, which was due to the fact that her disappointingly low ratings were dragging down the afternoon lineup."

“When Fox News did not commence any negotiations to renew her contract, Ms. Carlson became aware that her career with the network was likely over and conveniently began to pursue a lawsuit,” he added.

Carlson worked for Fox News starting in 2005 with a co-hosting spot on “Fox and Friends." She began hosting her own program in 2013.