University pulls out of hosting presidential debate over safety concerns
© Getty Images

A university in Ohio is withdrawing as the host of the first presidential debate of the general election season over safety concerns, according to Dayton Daily News.

ADVERTISEMENT

Wright State University President David Hopkins said that fears in the wake of recent terrorist attacks and the rising cost of security prompted the school to drop out from hosting the Sept. 26 debate.

“I can’t assure the safety of our students and the community,” Hopkins said.

Hopkins noted that the local community and state weren’t able to raise the funds to cover the $8 million needed to put on the debate.

The Commission on Presidential Debates said the debate will instead be held at Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y. 

Hofstra had been chosen as an alternate location for the upcoming debate cycle. It hosted presidential debates in both 2008 and 2012.

The Sept. 26 debate, the first of this year’s cycle, will be the highly anticipated first in-person showdown between Donald TrumpDonald TrumpBiden administration to keep Trump-era rule of turning away migrants during pandemic On The Money: Biden, Pelosi struggle with end of eviction ban | Trump attorney says he will fight release of tax returns Lack of transatlantic cooperation on trade threatens global climate change goals MORE and Hillary ClintonHillary Diane Rodham ClintonFive things to watch in two Ohio special election primaries Clintons, Stacey Abrams meeting Texas Democrats Biden says Russia spreading misinformation ahead of 2022 elections MORE.

-Updated at 2:26 p.m.