Reporter patted down, turned away from Pence rally
© Getty Images

Washington Post reporter Jose A. DelReal late Wednesday was patted down by police and barred from entering a campaign rally for GOP vice presidential nominee Mike PenceMichael (Mike) Richard PenceTrump adopts familiar mantra on possible recession: fake news The Hill's Morning Report - Trump on defense over economic jitters FEC chair calls on Trump to provide evidence of NH voter fraud MORE, his newspaper said Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Post said DelReal was first denied a media credential by volunteers at the Indiana governor's event in Waukesha, Wis. DelReal then tried entering through the general admission line, only for a private security official to block his way.

The security official said DelReal could not enter the Waukesha County Exposition Center with his laptop and cellphone.

Asked by DelReal if people could enter without their cellphones, security officials reportedly replied, "Not if they work for The Washington Post."

The Post said DelReal next placed both devices in his car before returning to the premises.

Security personnel allegedly summoned two county sheriff’s deputies, who patted down DelReal’s legs and torso looking for a cellphone. The officers, whom DelReal identified as Deputy John Lappley and Capt. Michelle Larsuel, verified he did not have the electronics.

Campaign security subsequently refused him entry into Pence’s speech anyway, the Post added.

“He said, ‘I don’t want you here — you have to go,’” DelReal said of the security official, who would not provide his name.

The Post added the security officer would not let DelReal speak with a campaign press representative before his ejection.

Pence’s campaign said late Wednesday it was not involved in the encounter, blaming overzealous volunteers instead.

“It sounds like they misinterpreted what they were supposed to be doing,” one official said after refusing to give his name. "This is not our policy.”

“Our events are open to everyone, and we are looking into the alleged incident,” Matt Lotter, Pence’s press secretary, said in a statement.

GOP presidential nominee Donald TrumpDonald John TrumpFacebook releases audit on conservative bias claims Harry Reid: 'Decriminalizing border crossings is not something that should be at the top of the list' Recessions happen when presidents overlook key problems MORE last month revoked press credentials for a number of media organizations he called unfair, including the Post, which he accused of “phony and dishonest” coverage.