Donald TrumpDonald TrumpUN meeting with US, France canceled over scheduling issue Trump sues NYT, Mary Trump over story on tax history McConnell, Shelby offer government funding bill without debt ceiling MORE in an early morning Friday post on Twitter appeared to walk back his claims of seeing a video with "money pouring off of a plane in Iran," referring to the $400 million cash payment the U.S. sent to Tehran.
"The plane I saw on television was the hostage plane in Geneva, Switzerland, not the plane carrying $400 million in cash going to Iran!" Trump tweeted Friday morning.
The plane I saw on television was the hostage plane in Geneva, Switzerland, not the plane carrying $400 million in cash going to Iran!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 5, 2016
Trump has come under criticism for saying that he saw a video showing the $400 million being taken off the plane. He said at a Wednesday rally that the video was shot in Iran by the Iranian government and released as a ploy to embarrass the U.S.
"I'll never forget the scene this morning and remember this, Iran — I don't think you've heard this anywhere but here — Iran provided all of that footage, the tape of taking that money off that airplane, right, $400 million in cash. How does a president do that? How do you do that?" Trump said.
"Now here's the amazing thing. Over there where that plane landed, top secret, they don't have a lot of paparazzi, you know the paparazzi doesn't do so well over there, right, and they have a perfect tape done by obviously a government camera, and the tape is of the people taking the money off the plane, right," Trump continued.
"That means in order to embarrass us further Iran sent us the tapes, right? It's a military tape. It's a tape that was a perfect angle, nice and steady. Nobody getting nervous because they are going to be shot, because they are shooting a picture of money pouring off of plane."
A spokesman told CBS News Thursday the footage Trump was referring to was a clip that had aired on Fox News earlier in the day of Americans stepping off a Swiss plane after being freed from Iran.
The payments to Iran have also become a problem for the Obama administration.
President Obama at a Thursday news conference bristled as he explained the decision to send the $400 million to Iran, the first installment of a $1.7 billion settlement that the two countries agreed to regarding an abandoned arms deal from the 1970s.
Obama said the deal was separate from negotiations aimed at releasing U.S. prisoners held by Iran, and talks on the nuclear agreement with Tehran.
GOP critics have argued that the timing of the payment raises concerns that it was part of the same deal.