© Getty Images
Sen. Tom CottonTom Bryant CottonGOP senators introduce bill targeting Palestinian 'martyr payments' White House announces diplomatic boycott of Beijing Olympics Demand Justice launches ad campaign backing Biden nominee who drew GOP pushback MORE (R-Ark.) on Tuesday slammed the Clinton Foundation for waiting until after the election to potentially stop accepting foreign donations, saying the move amounts to a "fire sale" for access.
"They’re having a fire sale at the Clinton Foundation for White House access," Cotton told radio host Hugh Hewitt. "So all of those oligarchs all around the world are worried about fulfilling their life’s work of eradicating disease and poverty need to get their money in now."
Former President Bill ClintonWilliam (Bill) Jefferson ClintonIs the US capable of thinking strategically? Bob Dole: heroic, prickly and effective Biden on Bob Dole: 'among the greatest of the Greatest Generation' MORE told staff last week that the foundation would stop accepting foreign and corporate donations if Hillary ClintonHillary Diane Rodham ClintonBen Affleck: Republicans 'want to dodge the consequences for their actions' through gerrymandering Republican Ohio Senate candidate slams JD Vance over previous Trump comments Budowsky: Why GOP donors flock to Manchin and Sinema MORE, the Democratic presidential nominee, wins in November.
The move has brought criticism from Republicans, who argue the organization should cut off foreign donors immediately or shouldn't have accepted them to begin with.
Cotton added Tuesday that the Clintons "should immediately suspend all donations to the Clinton Foundation from foreign governments and from corporations."
"They said they will if she wins. But that’s really just an alarm bell for all those people to send in their money right now if they want to buy access in a future Clinton White House," he said.
Robby Mook, Clinton's campaign manager, defended the timeline, telling CNN's "State of the Union" on Sunday that the foundation is "doing an enormous amount of work."
"They receive a great deal of funding through these streams. And it will just take some time for them to readjust," he added.
Clinton's comments come as Republicans have seized on a steady stream of emails released by Judicial Watch, which they argue show an inappropriate connection between Clinton's State Department and the foundation.
In an 2009 email released Monday as part of 725 pages of State Department documents, top Clinton aide Huma Abedin coordinated with Clinton Foundation executive Doug Band to arrange a meeting between Clinton and Crown Prince Salman of Bahrain, which was requested by the crown prince.
Republicans are also demanding that the Department of Justice probe the foundation. Sen. Jeff SessionsJefferson (Jeff) Beauregard SessionsPress: For Trump endorsement: The more sordid, the better Those predicting Facebook's demise are blowing smoke If bitcoin is 'digital gold,' it should be taxed like gold MORE (R-Ala.), an early supporter of Donald TrumpDonald TrumpSenate rejects attempt to block Biden's Saudi arms sale Crenshaw slams House Freedom Caucus members as 'grifters,' 'performance artists' Senate confirms Biden's nominee to lead Customs and Border Protection MORE, told CNN's "New Day" on Tuesday that it "should be fully investigated."