Trump ending media ‘blacklist’
© Getty Images
 
ADVERTISEMENT
Trump’s presidential campaign had been denying press credential requests from The Washington Post, BuzzFeed, Univision, the Daily Beast, Politico and other news organizations over what the campaign considered unfair coverage.
 
But starting Thursday, the campaign will approve their credential requests, a campaign spokeswoman confirmed Wednesday. 
 
"I figure they can't treat me any worse!" Trump said about the blacklist, according to CNN's Brian Stelter.
 
Mike PenceMichael (Mike) Richard PencePence communications director to leave White House White House crowd sings 'Happy Birthday' to Trump Trump won't say if he'd endorse Pence in 2024 MORE, Trump’s running mate, had publicly said five weeks ago that he was looking into the blacklist and suggested he would encourage Trump to end it.
 
The Republican nominee has made criticism of the press a major theme of his campaign. 
 
He railed against the media during a campaign rally in North Carolina on Tuesday night.
 
“She’s being protected by the media, by the press, like nobody has ever been protected in the history of this country,” Trump said Tuesday of Hillary ClintonHillary Diane Rodham ClintonFive takeaways from Trump's 2020 kickoff rally Five takeaways from Trump's 2020 kickoff rally Trump jokes he'd get 'electric chair' if he deleted even one 'love note' email to Melania MORE, the Democratic nominee.
 
“Me on the other hand, it’s a total pile-on. Actually, a couple of media people have said in the history of this country there has been nobody who has been hit so viciously, so violently, and I will tell you, so ridiculously unfairly as Donald Trump. I’m proud to do it for you folks.”
 
Jonathan Easley contributed.