Presidential races

Nate Silver gives Trump his best odds of winning to date

Getty Images

Statistician and data expert Nate Silver on Tuesday gave Donald Trump a 44.5 percent chance of winning the general election — the GOP presidential nominee’s highest odds to date.

{mosads}Clinton held a 55.5 percent chance of victory, according to Silver’s FiveThirtyEight “Polls-plus” forecast, which shows what “polls, the economy and historical data tell us about Nov. 8.”

On Wednesday, Trump’s chances dropped slightly to 43.9 percent in the same election forecast, leaving Clinton at 56.1 percent. 

The projection as of Wednesday shows Clinton winning 278.7 Electoral College votes and Trump winning 259.1.

Clinton is also favored to win the popular vote, but only by a small margin, 46.5 to 45.1 percent.

Trump would secure wins in several battleground states, according to the forecast, including Florida, Ohio and North Carolina.

The polls between both major parties’ nominees have been tightening recently as the two candidates make their final push ahead of Election Day.

According to the RealClearPolitics average of polls, the Democratic nominee has just a 1.1-point lead over her Republican rival, 45 to 43.9 percent.

Polls in several battleground states have also showed the race tightening.

Tags Donald Trump

Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

See all Hill.TV See all Video

Most Popular

Load more


See all Video