Donald TrumpDonald TrumpTrump defends indicted GOP congressman House to vote Thursday on holding Bannon in contempt Youngkin calls for investigation into Loudoun County School Board amid sexual assault allegations MORE's running mate Mike PenceMichael (Mike) Richard PenceNearly 80 percent of Republicans want to see Trump run in 2024: poll Why is Trump undermining his administration's historic China policies? Replace Kamala Harris with William Shatner to get kids excited about space exploration MORE says the GOP presidential nominee no longer wants to impose a total ban on Muslims entering the United States.

"It's not Donald Trump's position now," Pence said in an interview on CNN's "New Day."

ADVERTISEMENT

Trump called for a "shutdown" on Muslims entering the U.S. in December, following the deadly mass shooting in San Bernardino, Calif., and the terrorist attacks in Paris.

Pence on CNN was responding to a question about why he no longer spoke out against Trump's proposal or the nominee's criticism of a Mexican-American judge.

The Indiana governor earlier this year called Trump's comments on Indiana-born Judge Gonzalo Curiel were inappropriate and said the Muslim ban proposal was unconstitutional

Pence on CNN said that Trump now wanted to "suspend immigration from countries compromised by terrorism."

In August, Trump called for "extreme vetting" of immigrants to protect from terrorism and said that the State and Homeland Security departments would decide which regions would qualify.