White nationalist funds new ad praising Trump
© Getty Images

A white nationalist is releasing a new radio ad this weekend urging voters to back Donald TrumpDonald John TrumpUS-Saudi Arabia policy needs a dose of 'realpolitik' Trump talks to Swedish leader about rapper A$AP Rocky, offers to vouch for his bail Matt Gaetz ahead of Mueller hearing: 'We are going to reelect the president' MORE.

William Johnson, a Los Angeles attorney, is funding the spot through his American National super PAC, the Los Angeles Times reported Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Do you want a strong leader who will secure our borders and stop the flow of illegal aliens and radical Islamic terrorists?” the spot asks. "Do you want a president who will safeguard the interests of Christians?

“Our country is at a crossroads and time is running out. Do the right thing. On Nov. 8, vote Trump.”

The ad is not authorized by Trump, the Republican presidential nominee. The Trump campaign has repeatedly said it rejects support from hate groups.

Johnson is targeting seven swing states with the $7,000 buy. The clip will air in Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Missouri, Nevada, Oregon and Tennessee.

The spot, which will air through Election Day, also tackles issues including trade deals, gun rights and the Supreme Court.

The Times said the commercial launches this Saturday on “The Political Cesspool,” a broadcast hosted by James Edwards. 

The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) describes Edwards’s Tennessee-based show as “overtly racist.”

“His show has featured a wide roster of white supremacists, anti-Semites and other extremists, such as the longtime [Ku Klux] Klan leader David Duke and Holocaust denier Willis Carto,” the SPLC’s website said of Edwards’s broadcast.

The Times added that Johnson is chairman of the separatist American Freedom Party.

Johnson had been included on the Trump's campaign's list of Republican National Convention delegates in California. The campaign removed his name in May, calling it a mistake.

Trump’s campaign in May, meanwhile, said the white nationalist’s inclusion on its list of Republican convention delegates in California was a mistake.

“Upon careful review of computer records, the inclusion of a potential delegate that had previously been rejected and removed from the campaign’s list in February 2016 was discovered,” Tim Clark, Trump’s California campaign director, said in a statement on May 10.

"This was immediately corrected and a final list, which does not include this individual, was submitted for certification.”

Trump has repeatedly struggled with unwanted support from white nationalists throughout his campaign.

The billionaire ultimately disavowed Duke’s support, for example, after he initially declined to do so.