Ambassador injured in knife attack released from hospital
© Getty Images

The U.S. ambassador to South Korea has been released from the hospital five days after he was wounded in a knife attack in Seoul.

“I feel pretty darn good, all things considered — it was obviously a scary incident,” Mark Lippert told reporters at a news conference Tuesday after his release.

“Thanks in large measure to the extraordinary care I received these last few days, I expect to be able to return to work very soon and eventually make a full recovery,” he added.

A man attacked Lippert with a blade last week, slashing him across his face and on his hand. News footage captured the ambassador hastily leaving the conference covered in blood and asking for an ambulance.

The attacker, who reportedly disagreed with America’s joint military exercises with South Korea, is in custody.

Lippert said that he has a bit more rehab left for his hands, but that he is “eager” to get back to work.

“I want to express my profound gratitude for the Koreans and Americans alike who bravely and selflessly responded to the scene of the attack,” he said.

“This incident has only strengthened our love and affection for this country.”

Lippert served as a foreign policy adviser to President Obama’s Senate office, as well as on his campaign. He was also chief of staff to former Secretary of Defense Chuck HagelCharles (Chuck) Timothy HagelOvernight Defense: US, Russia tensions grow over nuclear arms | Highlights from Esper's Asia trip | Trump strikes neutral tone on Hong Kong protests | General orders ethics review of special forces Five takeaways from Pentagon chief's first major trip Esper given horse in Mongolia as US looks for new inroads against China MORE.