Trump condemns Kabul bombing
© Getty Images

President TrumpDonald John TrumpGrassley: Dems 'withheld information' on new Kavanaugh allegation Health advocates decry funding transfer over migrant children Groups plan mass walkout in support of Kavanaugh accuser MORE condemned the deadly car bombing in Kabul, Afghanistan, on Saturday, calling for all nations to crack down on the Taliban terrorist group behind the attack. 

"I condemn the despicable car bombing attack in Kabul today that has left scores of innocent civilians dead and hundreds injured," the president said in a White House statement Saturday. "This murderous attack renews our resolve and that of our Afghan partners. The Taliban’s cruelty will not prevail." 

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack. It took place on a busy street lined with old government buildings after the suspected attacker passed a security checkpoint and tried to evade another. The attack killed at least 95 people and injured dozens more. 

ADVERTISEMENT

"The United States is committed to a secure Afghanistan that is free from terrorists who would target Americans, our allies, and anyone who does not share their wicked ideology," Trump continued. "Now, all countries should take decisive action against the Taliban and the terrorist infrastructure that supports them."

Trump's comments come after Secretary of State Rex TillersonRex Wayne TillersonSunday shows preview: Trump sells U.N. reorganizing and Kavanaugh allegations dominate Pompeo working to rebuild ties with US diplomats: report NYT says it was unfair on Haley curtain story MORE condemned the attack on behalf of the U.S. earlier in the day, calling the terrorists' use of a bomb-laden ambulance a "violation of the most basic international norms." 

The Trump administration is currently deciding whether to increase the amount of U.S. troops in Afghanistan amid new security threats. The total number of U.S. troops in the country has risen under Trump from 8,500 to 14,000.