BREAKING: Baltimore @MayorPugh50 says the city is organizing 60 free buses to send students to DC for the march against gun violence later this month. Says “let’s show Washington DC that Baltimore matters.” Wants 3,000 city students there. Will be providing lunches and t-shirts. pic.twitter.com/g4QIoS9baA— Kevin Rector (@RectorSun) March 6, 2018
Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh (D) said Tuesday that the city would organize 60 free buses to take students to the anti-gun violence march in Washington, D.C., later this month.
Pugh addressed hundreds of students who had walked out of Baltimore City schools and marched to City Hall on Tuesday to demand action on gun violence.
“It is all about hearing the voices of young people,” Pugh said, according to video of the situation posted by a Baltimore Sun reporter. “Let’s show Washington, D.C., that Baltimore matters.”
Baltimore students in front of City Hall right now: “HEY HEY, HO HO, GUN VIOLENCE HAS GOT TO GO!” pic.twitter.com/T9SmRIWvdI— Kevin Rector (@RectorSun) March 6, 2018
Pugh said that she wanted 3,000 students to represent Baltimore at the March for Our Lives and that the city would provide lunches and T-shirts in addition to the transportation.
Baltimore Police Commissioner Darryl De Sousa also spoke in support of the protest.
“Enough is enough,” he said, adding that he stands by the students “1,000 percent.”
The march, which has sprung into a nationwide event, is being organized by survivors of the mass shooting at a Florida high school last month.
The students have raised more than $3.5 million for the march, which includes donations from high-profile figures like Oprah Winfrey, Steven Spielberg and George and Amal Clooney.