Sen. Chris Van HollenChristopher (Chris) Van HollenPhoto showing 3-year-old girl high-five new Harriet Tubman mural goes viral The Hill's Morning Report - Trump says no legislation until Dems end probes Democrats grill Trump Interior chief for saying he hasn't 'lost sleep' over climate change MORE (D-Md.) swiped at President TrumpDonald John TrumpA better VA, with mental health services, is essential for America's veterans Pelosi, Nadler tangle on impeachment, contempt vote Trump arrives in Japan to kick off 4-day state visit MORE on Saturday while attending the "March for Our Lives" rally in Washington, D.C., calling for action on gun violence.

Asked about estimated attendance at the rally, which was expected to draw hundreds of thousands of people, Van Hollen told The Hill, "I can tell you for sure, it's larger than the Trump inauguration."

ADVERTISEMENT

While exact turnout figures have yet to be released, organizers obtained a permit for 500,000 people to rally in D.C. around Pennsylvania Avenue near the White House. Hundreds of similar marches were planned worldwide.

Trump sparked backlash last year after sending then-White House spokesman Sean SpicerSean Michael SpicerProgressive groups targeting Harvard, other universities with ad urging them to not hire Trump officials Celebs unwind at Capitol File WHCD after party Journalists close out WHCD at MSNBC/NBC News after-party MORE to confront members of the media over coverage of his inauguration crowd size after taking office.

Spicer claimed the press misrepresented the number of people at the inauguration after numerous reports indicated that the crowd was much smaller than former President Obama’s 2009 inauguration crowd.

The White House spokesman claimed at the time that Trump's inauguration crowd size was “the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration, period, both in person and around the globe,” garnering pushback from the media.

Spicer said in September that he regretted his fiery exchange with reporters.

— Mike Lillis contributed