Meghan Markle's father: Prince Harry told me to give Trump a chance
© Getty Images

Meghan Markle's father said Monday that his new son-in-law Prince Harry told him not to immediately write off President TrumpDonald John TrumpPapadopoulos on AG's new powers: 'Trump is now on the offense' Pelosi uses Trump to her advantage Mike Pence delivers West Point commencement address MORE.

"I was complaining I didn’t like Donald Trump. He said, 'Give Donald Trump a chance,' ” Thomas Markle told ITV’s "Good Morning Britain."

"I sort of disagreed with that," added Thomas Markle, whose daughter, American actress Meghan Markle, tied the knot with the sixth in line to the British throne last month. "But I still like Harry."

“That was his politics. I have my politics,” Thomas Markle, 73, told the British morning show. “We had conversations about it.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Asked if he believed Harry was a Trump supporter, Thomas Markle told “Good Morning Britain” host Piers Morgan, “I would hope not now, but at the time he might’ve been.”

Queen Elizabeth II “has to remain strictly neutral with respect to political matters,” according to Kensington Palace’s website. Members of the royal family are also expected to maintain political neutrality.

While Harry appeared together with former President Obama at several events over the years and posed for photos last year with first lady Melania TrumpMelania TrumpEarthquake shakes parts of Tokyo before Trump arrival Trump arrives in Japan to kick off 4-day state visit Trump to meet with Prince Harry during UK visit MORE at the Invictus Games, the 33-year-old royal has reportedly never met President Trump.

Thomas Markle also told "Good Morning Britain" on Monday that Harry was “open to the experiment” of Brexit, the decision for the U.K. to leave the European Union.

“It was just a loose conversation about something that we have to try, there was no real commitment to it,” Thomas Markle said about his conversation with the prince.

Thomas Markle previously created headlines when he told his daughter he would miss her wedding because of heart surgery.

He had previously faced allegations that he received payment from paparazzi for staged photographs.

Thomas Markle said Monday that he had agreed to the photographs to present a better image but said he now felt bad about it and apologized to Harry and Meghan Markle.

"I realized it was a serious mistake," he said. "It's hard to take it back."

Thomas Markle watched the wedding from California and Prince Charles walked Meghan Markle down the aisle.