Accused Capital Gazette shooter pleads not guilty to all charges
© Getty

The man accused of killing five people at the Capital Gazette newspaper office in Annapolis, Md., pleaded not guilty to all charges on Monday.

Reuters reported that lawyers for Jarrod Ramos entered the plea at the Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. Ramos is facing 23 felony charges — including five counts of first-degree murder — after he allegedly opened fire at the newspaper’s office last month.

The lawyers also filed motions seeking a speedy jury trial and to obtain prosecution materials through a discovery process, Reuters reported.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ramos did not personally appear in court. He remains in jail without bond.

Emily Morse, a spokeswoman for the prosecution, told Reuters that Ramos was identified through facial recognition technology. However, she disputed previous news reports that said Ramos had damaged his fingers to avoid identification through fingerprinting. 

Ramos, 38, is accused of opening fire at The Capital Gazette's office on June 28, killing five people and injuring multiple others. 

Ramos reportedly had a history of animus toward the newspaper, including an unsuccessful defamation lawsuit he filed against the Capital Gazette in 2012. The case revolved around the newspaper publishing a detailed column about Ramos allegedly harassing a woman.