Explosive device found at George Soros’s home
© Getty Images

Authorities discovered and disposed of an explosive device found in a mailbox outside a home of billionaire George Soros on Monday, The New York Times reported.

An employee at Soros's home in Westchester County, N.Y., found what appeared to be an explosive device in a mailbox before placing it in a wooded area and contacting police, authorities told the Times.

The newspaper reported that a bomb squad arrived and "proactively detonated" the device.

ADVERTISEMENT

Soros was not home at the time of the incident, and the investigation has reportedly been turned over to the FBI.

"We are conducting an investigation at and around a residence in Bedford, NY. There is no threat to public safety, and we have no further comment at this time," the bureau's New York office wrote in a tweet late Monday.

Right-wing groups and some Republican politicians have recently increased their criticism of Soros, a billionaire philanthropist who has supported liberal causes, human rights efforts and Democratic politicians.

Some conservatives have painted Soros as a villain associated with conspiratorial plots and subjected him to anti-Semitic slurs. Roseanne Barr falsely claimed Soros is a Nazi in a May tweet that was shared by the president's son, Donald Trump Jr.Donald (Don) John TrumpTrump Jr. hits Howard Stern for going 'establishment,' 'acting like Hillary' Trump Jr., GOP senator lash out at Facebook for taking down protest pages on stay-at-home orders Trump jokes he'll 'look into' pardon for 'Tiger King' after asked by reporter at virus briefing MORE

Rep. Matt GaetzMatthew (Matt) GaetzHillicon Valley: Zuckerberg on the defensive over Trump posts | Twitter labels another lawmaker's tweet | USTR opens probe into digital taxes GOP lawmaker wants probe of UPenn's Biden Center for Diplomacy and Global Engagement Twitter restricts tweet from Gaetz for glorifying violence MORE (R-Fla.) promoted a conspiracy theory on Twitter last week suggesting that Soros was funding a "caravan" of Central American migrants journeying toward the U.S. border. The accompanying video, which purported to show migrants being paid to flee for the U.S., was shared by President TrumpDonald John TrumpTwitter CEO: 'Not true' that removing Trump campaign video was illegal, as president has claimed Biden formally clinches Democratic presidential nomination Barr says he didn't give 'tactical' command to clear Lafayette protesters MORE.

The president has repeatedly suggested that Democrats are responsible for the caravan, while offering no proof for his claim. He has harped on the issue to stoke fear about a potential influx of illegal immigrants just weeks before the midterm elections.