A private group seeking to fund and build a wall on the border between the U.S. and Mexico says it has completed a half-mile of the barrier, according to The Washington Times. It is reportedly the first such privately funded and built construction.

Organizers with We Build the Wall say the group has sealed off a break in existing border fencing using an 18-foot steel bollard wall. It's a similar design to those used by the Border Patrol, according to the Times, and cost about $8 million.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We’re closing a gap that’s been a big headache” for the Border Patrol, former Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach (R), the group’s general counsel, told The Washington Times.

Air Force veteran Brian Kolfage first announced a fundraiser for a private border wall in December amid a standoff between President TrumpDonald John TrumpGOP divided over impeachment trial strategy Official testifies that Bolton had 'one-on-one meeting' with Trump over Ukraine aid Louisiana governor wins re-election MORE and congressional Democrats over funding for a barrier. He raised more than $20 million. Earlier this month, amid reports there was no indication the group had completed any construction, Kolfage defended the group’s efforts, writing, “We are in the homestretch and it’s on a need to know basis.”

In January, GoFundMe announced it would refund the $20 million, saying Kolfage had changed the terms after initially promising to refund all donations if the fundraiser fell short of its $1 billion goal.

“If a donor does not want a refund, and they want their donation to go to the new organization, they must proactively elect to redirect their donation to that organization,” a GoFundMe spokesman told The Hill in January. “If they do not take that step, they will automatically receive a full refund.”

Over the past week, Kolfage has tweeted hints about a potential unveiling and on Monday triumphantly posted a video of the wall.