Opera star Placido Domingo accused of sexual harassment
© Getty

Multiple women have come forward alleging that Spanish opera singer Placido Domingo sexually harassed them, often using his influence to promise career advancement or to punish women professionally if they refused his advancements, The Associated Press reported Tuesday. 

Nine women — eight singers and one dancer — told the AP they were sexually harassed by Domingo in encounters that took place over three decades starting in the late 1980s. The women allege that the harassment took place in venues including opera companies where Domingo held managerial roles.

One singer, Patricia Wulf, a mezzo-soprano who sang with Domingo at the Washington Opera, came forward publicly; the eight other women asked to remain anonymous for fear of retaliation, public humiliation and harassment.

ADVERTISEMENT

According to the AP, the women's stories followed a similar pattern of behavior by Domingo that included him contacting them persistently, expressing interest in their careers and asking them to meet him privately for a drink or meal, including at his apartment or hotel room.

Six other women told the AP they were uncomfortable by Domingo's alleged suggestive overtures. One woman alleged that Domingo repeatedly asked her on dates after hiring her to sing at a series of concerts.

The women told the AP that they had been warned never to be alone with Domingo. 

Seven of the nine accusers told the AP they felt their careers were impacted adversely after rejecting Domingo’s advances. Two told the outlet that they gave in to Domingo's alleged advances because they didn’t want to risk jeopardizing their careers. 

According to the AP, nearly three dozen other performers, backstage staff, voice instructors and an administrator said they witnessed inappropriate advances by Domingo, alleging that he pursued younger women with impunity.

In a statement to the AP, Domingo, 78, said the allegations are “deeply troubling, and as presented, inaccurate.” The outlet said he did not respond to detailed questions about specific events. 

Domingo called the allegations “inaccurate,” adding that it is “painful to hear that I may have upset anyone or made them feel uncomfortable ... despite my best intentions.” 

“However, I recognize that the rules and standards by which we are — and should be — measured against today are very different than they were in the past. I am blessed and privileged to have had a more than 50-year career in opera and will hold myself to the highest standards,” he added.