A spokesman for the WikiLeaks document-revealing website said Saturday that the 15,000 remaining documents on the Afghanistan war will be published within "two weeks to a month."

Last week, the Pentagon called on WikiLeaks to turn over the last of the documents, which the website said it was reviewing to redact information that would harm "innocent parties who are under reasonable threat." WikiLeaks fired back at the Pentagon's request that the website "do the right thing" with a series of tweets responding to "obnoxious" Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell.

ADVERTISEMENT

On Saturday, Australian Julian Assange, who describes himself as a board member of the website and a spokesman, told reporters in Stockholm, "This organization will not be threatened by the Pentagon or any other group. We proceed cautiously and safely with this material."

Assange told the Associated Press that U.S. defense officials "must protect what the United States' founders considered to be their central value, which is freedom of the press."

"For the Pentagon to be making threatening demands for censorship of a press organization is a cause for concern, not just for the press but for the Pentagon itself," Assange said.

WikiLeaks originally posted more than 70,000 documents on its site July 25, sparking outcry from the White House and concerns that Afghan allies would be harmed as the Taliban promised to review the documents and take action against informants.

"We have delayed the release of some 15,000 reports from the total archive as part of a harm minimization process demanded by our source. After further review, these reports will be released, with occasional redactions, and eventually in full, as the security situation in Afghanistan permits," WikiLeaks stated of the not-yet-released documents on its website.

Before the last document dump, the website, hosted out of Sweden, let three news organizations — The New York Times, The Guardian and Der Spiegel — preview the information.

Assange said Saturday that media partners would be involved in the next release, but didn't name which organizations.

In an open letter to Assange on Thursday, press-freedom organization Reporters Without Borders, which has defended WikiLeaks in the past, slammed WikiLeaks for "incredible irresponsibility" in the July 25 document release, saying that "revealing the identity of hundreds of people who collaborated with the coalition in Afghanistan is highly dangerous."

"Indiscriminately publishing 92,000 classified reports reflects a real problem of methodology and, therefore, of credibility," the group wrote. "Journalistic work involves the selection of information. The argument with which you defend yourself, namely that Wikileaks is not made up of journalists, is not convincing.

"...You cannot claim to enjoy the protection of sources while at the same time, when it suits you, denying that you are a news media."

WikiLeaks fired back in a tweet: "Reporters Sans Fact-checking Washington has issued some idiot statement, based on a bunch of quotes we never made."