A conservative heavyweight in the House Republican conference said Wednesday he would support a new stopgap spending plan to avert a government shutdown. 

Rep. Mike Pence (Ind.) threw his weight behind the measure, which would fund the government for one week while cutting $12 billion and would fund the military through September.

"While I am frustrated that liberals in the Senate continue to resist our efforts to include even modest cuts in this year's budget, I will support a one-week Continuing Resolution because the troops come first," he said in a statement.

The Indiana Republican's support indicates a conservative GOP bloc might not stand in the way of the measure, even though many of its members previously balked at another stopgap.

Fifty-four House Republicans voted against the last stopgap spending bill, forcing Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) to rely on the support of Democrats to pass it. 

Democrats have said they are opposed to the latest plan.

Pence suggested earlier this week he would draw a hard line on spending, telling MSNBC he would hold up a budget bill if it does not contain his amendment defunding Planned Parenthood. But that was before the current plan was proposed.

"We will not change the fiscal destiny of this nation without a fight. I am willing to keep fighting for one more week to ensure our men and women in uniform have the resources they need to get the job done and come home safe," said Pence.