The National Rifle Association released its first statement in response to the shooting massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
"The National Rifle Association of America is made up of four million moms and dads, sons and daughters – and we were shocked, saddened and heartbroken by the news of the horrific and senseless murders in Newtown," the statement, released Tuesday, said. "Out of respect for the families, and as a matter of common decency, we have given time for mourning, prayer and a full investigation of the facts before commenting."
The statement comes a few days after the shooting massacre which resulted in 26 dead including 20 young children. The organization had previously been silent about the shooting.
Since the massacre a number of legislators including two Senate Democrats with "A" ratings from the NRA have called for strengthening existing gun laws. One of the "A" rated Democrats, Sen. Joe ManchinJoe ManchinProtesters demonstrate outside Manchin's houseboat over opposition to reconciliation package Security policy expert: Defense industry donations let lawmakers 'ignore public opinion' Manchin cast doubt on deal this week for .5T spending bill MORE (W.Va.), said Monday that the NRA needed to be at the table in discussions on new gun legislation. Manchin also said he would talk with members of the NRA as he pushed new gun laws.
"The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again," Manchin said.
The organization said it planned to hold a "major news conference" in Washington, D.C., on Friday. The statement did not provide any other details about the conference.