Young Turks host offers $1M for Trump, Sanders debate
© Getty Images

The Young Turks online program is offering up $1 million to host a debate between Democratic presidential hopeful Bernie SandersBernie SandersWhat the shift in Senate control means for marijuana policy reform Business groups prepare for lobbying push against minimum wage Schumer: Senate could pave way for reconciliation on COVID relief next week MORE and presumptive GOP nominee Donald TrumpDonald TrumpBlinken holds first calls as Biden's secretary of State Senators discussing Trump censure resolution Dobbs: Republicans lost in 2020 because they 'forgot who was the true leader' MORE.

ADVERTISEMENT
"We are now offering $1 million to charity in order to have that debate," Young Turks host Cenk Uygur said at a dinner at the National Press Club in Washington on Thursday night.
 
"This is a very real offer," Uygur said, adding that Trump and Sanders could pick the charity.
 
"It is our belief that the Bernie Sanders campaign is already in," Uygur said, adding that notices had been sent to both campaigns and the program was waiting to hear back from Trump.
The Young Turks first invited Sanders and Trump to debate on Wednesday night as Trump indicated in an off-the-cuff remark on Jimmy Kimmel's late-night show that he'd be willing to debate Sanders for charity.

What may have started as a joke quickly turned serious, with Sanders suggesting the debate be held in California ahead of the state's primary. 
 
“I’d love to debate Bernie. He’s a dream,” Trump told reporters in Bismarck, N.D., on Thursday, floating a price tag of raising $10 million to $15 million for charity.

Sanders further expressed excitement about such a debate, calling for it to be held "in the biggest stadium possible."
 
 
Clinton, who is aiming to clinch her party's nomination for a match-up with Trump in November, dismissed talk of a Trump-Sanders debate, telling MSNBC, "I don't think it's going to happen."