The NRA issued a statement Friday calling the recent death of a Minnesota man after he was shot by police “troubling.”
“The reports from Minnesota are troubling and must be thoroughly investigated,” the statement posted on Twitter reads. “In the meantime, it is important for the NRA not to comment while the investigation is ongoing.”
The reports from #Minnesota are troubling and must be thoroughly investigated. #2A #NRA pic.twitter.com/Z7wEQNBs0y
— NRA (@NRA) July 8, 2016
Though it does not specifically mention it, the statement appears to be addressing the death of Philando Castile in Falcon Heights, Minn., earlier this week. The grisly aftermath of the shooting was caught on video by Castile’s girlfriend, who said that he had told police he was licensed to carry a weapon and was shot while reaching for his wallet.
“Rest assured, the NRA will have more to say once all the facts are known,” the statement added.
The NRA has been criticized this week for not responding to the incident, with some suggesting that the group isn’t exhibiting it’s usual pro-gun vigor because Castile was black.
Rep. Cedric Richmond (D-La.), a member of the Congressional Black Caucus, accused the NRA of hypocrisy on Friday for promoting concealed carry laws but withholding comment on Castile’s death.
“I hunt and I fish and I own a gun, but the last few days have clarified it for me: Their Second Amendment concern is void of concern for African-Americans,” Richmond said. “We cannot give them a pass on not giving a comment, not defending this young man and not calling for some change.”
Mike Lillis contributed.
Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.