Scarborough: Independent conservative candidate will announce presidential bid
© Getty Images

MSNBC host Joe Scarborough said Monday that an independent conservative candidate on Monday will announce a challenge to Republican presidential nominee Donald TrumpDonald TrumpGOP-led Maricopa County board decries election recount a 'sham' Analysis: Arpaio immigration patrol lawsuit to cost Arizona county at least 2 million Conservatives launch 'anti-cancel culture' advocacy organization MORE.

"It does appear that there is going to be a well-funded independent candidate," Scarborough said on "Morning Joe," without providing a name.

ADVERTISEMENT

Scarborough, a former GOP congressman from Florida, said the candidate would aim to get on 20 to 30 state ballots.  

"Certainly they still believe they can go past the 270 [electoral votes] threshold so this person will be able to be in debates," he said. 
 
He offered personal conjecture based on his sources, however, that "this has more to do with stopping Donald Trump than actually electing a president."
 
Scarborough said in follow-up tweets that the candidate "has an impressive resume" and the backing of donors but has never held elected office.

Republicans earlier this year tried to find an independent candidate to offer an alternative to Trump, who has remained a divisive figure in the party.

Read more from The Hill: 

CIA veteran expected to challenge Trump