Judge drops suit accusing Twitter of aiding ISIS
© Getty Images

A federal judge in San Francisco has dismissed a lawsuit charging Twitter with helping the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), according to multiple reports.

U.S. District Judge William H. Orrick said Wednesday Twitter is not liable for the terrorist group’s speech on the social media platform, The Associated Press reported.

ADVERTISEMENT

“As horrific as these deaths were ... Twitter cannot be treated as a publisher or speaker of ISIS’s hateful rhetoric and is not liable under the facts alleged,” he wrote of his decision.

The families of two men shot and killed by ISIS in Jordan claimed Twitter had contributed to their deaths by letting the terror group register and use accounts on its service, the AP reported. 

The judge agreed with the social media company, however, that it cannot be held liable as it did not create ISIS’s rhetoric.

Federal law protects service providers that merely offer mediums for speech, the AP added, as long as they do not create the speech themselves.

The Verge on Wednesday reported that the lawsuit against Twitter was first filed last January by the family of Lloyd Fields.

Fields, an American contractor, was shot and killed during an ISIS attack in Amman, Jordan, on Nov. 9, 2015, according to his family’s initial complaint.

Floyd’s relatives alleged that ISIS conducts widespread fundraising and recruiting using Twitter, attributing the platform for 30,000 new extremists in 2015 alone.

The Verge said the lawsuit presented a significant challenge of Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, often called the Safe Harbor Clause.

The clause protects online services from liability for speech published by their users, including those who make libelous statements in the comments section of news websites.

Individual users who publish comments can be held liable, but the Safe Harbor Clause prohibits legal action against the website itself.

The AP said a similar lawsuit against Google, Facebook and Twitter about terrorist organizations using their services is still in court.

Reuters reported in June that suit was brought by a California family whose daughter died during a terrorist attack in Paris last year.