Melania Trump taking legal action after news outlets publish escort story
© Getty Images

Potential first lady Melania Trump is taking legal action against the Daily Mail and other news outlets, accusing them of defamation. 

ADVERTISEMENT

“Mrs. Trump has placed several news organizations on notice of her legal claims against them, including Daily Mail among others, for making false and defamatory statements about her supposedly having been an ‘escort’ in the 1990s,” attorney Charles Harder said in an email to Politico

The Daily Mail last week published a story questioning Trump’s past romantic relationships, her modeling career and immigration story. The report cited an article from a magazine in Trump's native Slovenia that said a modeling agency she worked for also operated as an escort service. 

Harder said all statements suggesting Trump worked as an escort are “100% false, highly damaging to her reputation, and personally hurtful.” 

“Outright lying about her in this way exceeds all bounds of appropriate news reporting and human decency,” Harder wrote. 

Trump tweeted the Inquisitr and BipartisanReport retractions on Monday. The outlets apologized for repeating the claims.