CNN says it passed on booking Conway for Sunday show
© Getty

CNN said Monday that it passed on booking Kellyanne Conway as a guest for a Sunday morning political show, needling President Trump's top aide on Twitter.

".  was offered to SOTU on Sunday by the White House," the CNN Communications account tweeted Monday, referring to its "State of the Union" show. "We passed. Those are the facts."

The New York Times reported Sunday that CNN had decided not to put Conway on as a Sunday guest partially because of "serious questions about her credibility."
 
Mika Brzezinski, the co-host of MSNBC's "Morning Joe," also took to Twitter to knock Conway. 
ADVERTISEMENT

CNN on Monday was responding to a tweet from Conway, who denied that she was passed over and claimed she wasn't able to go on shows this weekend.

"False. I could do no live Sunday shows this week BC of family," she tweeted.
 
"Plus, I was invited onto CNN today & tomorrow. CNN Brass on those emails."

Vice President Pence was interviewed on the Sunday morning political shows this weekend, but skipped CNN.

Conway faced backlash this weekend after pointing to a terrorist attack that never happened during her defense of Trump's executive order temporarily barring refugees and people from seven predominately Muslim countries from entering the U.S.

During an interview last week with MSNBC's "Hardball," Conway referenced the "Bowling Green massacre," an event that never happened.

"President Obama had a six-month ban on the Iraqi refugee program after two Iraqis came here to this country, were radicalized, and they were the masterminds behind the Bowling Green massacre," Conway said during the MSNBC interview.

"Most people don't know that because it didn't get covered."
 
Conway later corrected herself in a tweet following the interview, which included a link to a 2013 ABC News report that referenced two terrorists from al Qaeda in Iraq who had been living in Bowling Green, Ky. The report said the State Department halted Iraqi refugee requests for six months in 2011 as a result of the case.
 
Over the weekend, Conway sought to defend herself, saying she "misspoke one word." She called some of those who criticized her for the misstatement "haters."
 
She also spurred controversy last month when she said White House press secretary Sean Spicer provided "alternative facts" to reporters during his first briefing.
 
This story was updated at 1:04 p.m.