Four civilians killed in February in US-led strikes in Iraq
© Getty Images

Four civilians were killed in February by U.S.-led coalition forces in Iraq and Syria, the U.S. military said Saturday.

Those four deaths bring the Pentagon's official tally of civilians killed by coalition airstrikes in the three-year fight against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) to at least 229, though that estimate is far lower than estimates by outside groups.

"We regret the unintentional loss of civilian lives ... and express our deepest sympathies to the families and others affected by these strikes," the Pentagon said in a statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

The four latest confirmed civilian deaths came near Mosul, Iraq, in mid-February, according to the Pentagon. They came during targeted strikes on ISIS facilities.

News of the February deaths come after a coalition airstrike in March killed as many as 200 civilians in Mosul, according to reports citing residents and monitoring groups. The U.S. military launched an investigation into that incident late last month.

Iraqi forces backed by the U.S.-led coalition, have been locked in a fight to retake Mosul, Iraq's second-largest city, for over a year. Military officials announced on Monday that the U.S. would send more than 200 soldiers to assist in the fight. They will join more than 5,000 U.S. troops who are already there. U.S. forces are not directly involved in combat, and are serving in supporting and advising roles.