Former FBI official Richard McFeely has reportedly withdrawn his name from consideration to replace James Comey as FBI director, according to a report by a Washington ABC affiliate. 

Sources told WJLA that McFeely withdrew his name from President Trump's FBI director shortlist. Three potential candidates left include former Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.), former Republican Oklahoma Gov. Frank Keating and acting FBI chief Andrew McCabe.

Trump has been searching for a replacement director since he dropped the bombshell news last week that he had fired Comey.

ADVERTISEMENT

The president pledged last week that he would move quickly to name a new FBI director, suggesting he would name a new bureau chief before leaving for his first foreign trip, which he has recently begun. 

Senate Majority Whip John CornynJohn CornynThe Hill's Morning Report - Trump on defense over economic jitters Democrats keen to take on Cornyn despite formidable challenges The Hill's Campaign Report: Battle for Senate begins to take shape MORE (R-Texas) was on Trump's list, but said in a statement that the upper chamber is his top priority. Rep. Trey GowdyHarold (Trey) Watson GowdyRising star Ratcliffe faces battle to become Trump's intel chief Cummings announces expansion of Oversight panel's White House personal email probe, citing stonewalling Pelosi says it's up to GOP to address sexual assault allegation against Trump MORE (R-S.C.) said Monday that he is “not the right person” to replace Comey, despite Attorney General Jeff SessionsJefferson (Jeff) Beauregard SessionsDOJ should take action against China's Twitter propaganda Lewandowski says he's 'happy' to testify before House panel The Hill's Morning Report — Trump and the new Israel-'squad' controversy MORE, the head of the Justice Department, speaking with him about running the agency.

Former Assistant Attorney General Alice Fisher, who was appointed by former President George W. Bush, also removed herself from the White House’s shortlist earlier this week.